At Bloomfield dental center we encourage all our patients to take a very good care of their Oral hygiene for it is very important for their overall health, here are the most three important tips for your oral hygiene.
Proper brushing is essential for cleaning teeth and gums effectively. Use a toothbrush with soft, nylon, round-ended bristles that will not scratch and irritate teeth or damage gums.
- Brush your teeth twice a day.
- Clean the outer surfaces of your upper teeth, then your lower teeth.
- Clean the inner surfaces of your upper teeth, then your lower teeth.
- Clean the chewing surfaces.
- Remember to replace your toothbrush every three to four months.
Flossing is an essential part of the tooth-cleaning process because it removes plaque from between teeth and at the gum line, where periodontal disease often begins.
- Floss once a day.
- stick to using tools designed for cleaning between teeth.
- Guide the floss between your teeth using a gentle rubbing motion. Never snap the floss into the gums.
- When the floss reaches the gum line, curve it into a C shape against one tooth. Gently slide it into the space between the gum and the tooth.
Smoking can cause many serious problems for teeth and oral structures. The problem can be further exacerbated when proper health care is not followed. Among the most common oral problems, smokers are at an increased risk for gum disease.
Smokers are four times more likely of developing this problem than non-smokers.
Gum disease, or periodontal disease as it is clinically known, occurs when a buildup of plaque targets the tissue that makes up the gums, alveolar bone (where teeth are embedded), periodontal ligament (supporting the root of the tooth), and cementum (surface connecting the tooth to the alveolar bone).
Contact us to schedule your appointment.